walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Grange Fell

Grange Fell

Postby Phooooey » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:38 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Grange Fell

Date walked: 29/10/2011

Time taken: 1.75

Distance: 5.5 km

Ascent: 401m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Quayfoot Quarry Car Park - Bowderstone - Grange Fell - Car Park

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Todays weather forecast was poor but I was itching to get my half way point milestone under my belt.
The dog was even more ready for a good walk as a busy week at work for both myself and the wife have left Damson indoors without even a trip to the beach for a good run about.

I wanted a prominent fell for the Wainwright 50% mark and have been planning Scafell Pike for weeks, but yet again the weather had scuppered those plans. It was clear that a smaller fell was called for as nearly everything was shrouded in cloud and the rain was falling throughout the district.

Inspiration came when in the car and heading towards Castle Crag (at least if it was cloudy on Castle Crag it wouldn't have been a massive effort to do it again).
A couple of years back we lost a very dear friend, Dave Palmer to cancer and his ashes were scattered on Grange Fell (his favourite fell in the Lakes) and it felt like a fitting tribute to climb up there today.

We set off from the Car Park at Quayside Quarry and headed up the track to visit the Bowderstone first. 3 blokes were setting up camp under the stone as we climbed onto its top. They weren't there on the way down so must have had a bit of sense drummed into them.

CIMG4020.JPG
The Bowderstone

CIMG4021.JPG
High Steel Knott from the Bowderstone

CIMG4022.JPG
Castle Crag from the Bowderstone

After dropping back to the road, we headed up from the next stile on the left up quite a steep bank to the right of and round the back of Kings How. After finding the stile over the fence we followed a clear path up to the top of Grange Fell (Brunt Fell) fighting the wind and rain for practically the entire journey up. The view from the summit was good but the wind tried to blow us from the rock and after taking the one photo, I climbed back down to get some shelter.

CIMG4024.JPG
Grange Fell Summit

The route down headed left after dropping from Brunt Fell on a bearing straight to Flint Wood ?? and dropped down its northern edge to a bridleway. We followed this back to the road dodging the large group of mountain bikers before heading back past the Bowderstone and back to the car park.

The rain got heavier on our trek round and Damson looked like a drowned rat on her return. its a few hours later now and as I'm writing this blog she is still shivering by my side.
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Grange Fell

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:33 pm

Phooooey wrote: blokes were setting up camp under the stone
What!! Perhaps they just wanted some shelter to have a break?
Phooooey wrote:The rain got heavier on our trek round and Damson looked like a drowned rat on her return. its a few hours later now and as I'm writing this blog she is still shivering by my side.
Poor thing, she won't want to go out again :(

Hate to tell you but, the last time I did that walk we were so hot it was a relief to find some shade :lol:

I enjoyed your report and the photos; brings back happy memories!
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Phooooey » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:21 pm

Hi Susie,

The guys were definitely either setting up or packing up from some outing. The picture shows the sleeping bags etc, laid out for 2 under the front of the rock and one behind. Although they could just have been cheating and setting up for a photo only :lol: .

I'll be trying this one again come next summer. I'm going to try and add it to a bigger round with maybe a camp out on the central ridge thrown in. The weather can't get much worse than Saturdays trek.

Damson is now dry and raring to go again. You can't keep a good dog down !!
Glenridding next weekend as my wife is setting up a wedding at the "Inn On The Lake" whilst we leave her to it and clamber over a few fells.
Phooooey

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:52 pm

Phooooey wrote:I'll be trying this one again come next summer. I'm going to try and add it to a bigger round with maybe a camp out on the central ridge thrown in. The weather can't get much worse than Saturdays trek.

Firstly, I hope you get good weather the next time and that you can camp out. We've also done the walk from there and then gone overto Watendlath and back round.

Phooooey wrote:Damson is now dry and raring to go again. You can't keep a good dog down !!
Thats good news, where is she heading off to from Glenridding? :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby The Old Man of Storr » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:16 pm

Phooooey wrote:The guys were definitely either setting up or packing up from some outing. The picture shows the sleeping bags etc, laid out for 2 under the front of the rock and one behind. Although they could just have been cheating and setting up for a photo only :lol: .

Are you sure they're not bouldering mats? Although some may consider bouldering equally mad...
The Old Man of Storr
Munro compleatist

Munros:148   
Hewitts:91
Wainwrights:202   

Postby Phooooey » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:43 pm

not heard of bouldering mats ?? The one at the back definitely looked like a sleeping bag tho !!
Phooooey

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland