walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Days 2 and 3 of a week in the hills

Days 2 and 3 of a week in the hills

Postby Steve B » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:38 pm

Route description: Sgùrr na Cìche: 3 Munros from Loch Arkaig

Munros included on this walk: Garbh Chioch Mhòr, Sgùrr Mòr (Loch Quoich), Sgùrr na Cìche, Sgùrr nan Coireachan (Glen Dessary)

Date walked: 25/10/2011

Time taken: 26 hours

Distance: 35 km

Ascent: 2600m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a review of the very changeable weather forecasts we decided to head from Loch Tay via Fort William for supplies and got to the end of the Loch Arkaig road around 13:30.
We got our gear sorted out eventually and started walking into Glendessarry about 14:30.
1 - Heading into Glen Dessarry.JPG

A very pleasant walk around towards the lodge and then up the track heading towards Glen Kingie. Can't say I was very impressed by the lodge. a bit of an ugly looking place in such surroundings.
2 - Back to Dessarry Lodge.JPG

The underfoot condition were not near as bad as I expected and good progress was made to the head of the side valley where we stopped for some food.
3 - The first glimpse of Sgurr Mor.JPG

4 - Looking down Glen Kingie.JPG

Shortly after this we came across a group of Red Deer stags that were not far away. They started moving towards us at first which was disconcerting looking at the antlers, they knew the ground well though and were very quickly hidden behind a fold in the hill and where never seen again.
Again I was surprised at how easy the river crossing was. The way up to the bealach on the stalker path was slow work with the extra weight in the packs.
At the bealach we debated whether to leave the packs and head to the summit and head back for them and camp. We only had an hour of light left so we opted to leave them and take headtorches for the return.
An easier climb followed across a top and then a sharp descent and final ascent onto the summit as the sun was disappearing. The wind had picked up significantly by this time.
5 - On Sgurr Mor.JPG

6 - On Sgurr Mor 2.JPG

We got as far as the first descent before the light went but could make out the track onto the top. Finding the route off was more problematic and eventually the torches went on and the path down quickly followed. The reflective strip on the back of my pack was never so greatfully seen.
We found a good place to pitch the tent with as much shelter from the wind as we could find, this was not much though.
The gear was stowed inside and the Jetboil fired up to provide hot water for the dried meals. These were quickly consumed and we got into the sleeping bags with Black Treacle Cake and 2 small bottles of Glenfiddich to cheer us up before sleep.
The wind was pretty savage most of the night with rain on and off. Managed to get more sleep than expected though and after a hot breakfast of Custard and Fruit, again re-hyrdated, we set off about 09:00.
7 - Breaking camp.JPG

The full waterproofs were required from the start and slowly warmth returned as we climbed up to An Eag and across to Sgurr nan Coirechan.
8 -  The way ahead over to Sgurr nan Coireachan.JPG

We were in and out of cloud and rain as we got up to the summit in something over an hour.
9 - Approaching the summit with the normal ascent appearing on the left.JPG

The view of the rest of the ridge was fairly dramatic with a lot obscured by clouds.
A savage descent to the bealach followed and then a very long up, down and twisting ridge before reaching Garbh Choich Mhor.
10 - Looking over to Garbh Chioch Beag.JPG

11 - Looking back on where we had been.JPG

12 - A glimpse of Loch Nevis.JPG

It was a very cold wind blowing so we did not hang around long, there was not much to see either.
13 - Finally at the summit.JPG

14 - Its cold and wet up here.JPG

We dropped down to Feadan na Ciche and found a spot where there was shelter from the wind and had a brew and food.
15 - Lunch stop and a view over Loch Quoich.JPG

We left the bags behind some rocks and headed up to the summit od Sgurr na Ciche which was gained very quickly. We had the benefit of some views across to Knoydart and the islands. Some time was taken enjoying these.
16 - Looking back at the ridge.JPG

17 - View from the summit of Sgurr na Ciche.JPG

At the bealach whilst collecting the sacks a lone walker appeared, he had not completed this one 17 years previously so was doing this on it's own. I did not realise then what a feat that was as we had not been on his approach walk at this point.
An easy walk / scramble down the water course followed and then a very long walk out. This was very wet and boggy. I nearly went over several times and my humour was tested by the duration of it.
We got back to the car and headed off at around 18:00.
We got to Fort William and found a B&B and had a good feed in the Grog and Gruel.
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Re: Days 2 and 3 of a week in the hills

Postby kev_russ » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:59 pm

Great report and pics steve :thumbup:
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:30 pm

Great effort and report :D .

Steve B wrote:We left the bags behind some rocks and headed up to the summit od Sgurr na Ciche

ditto

Steve B wrote:This was very wet and boggy. I nearly went over several times and my humour was tested by the duration of it.

almost "ditto", except I did fall on my backside a couple of times :lol:
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby dooterbang » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:12 pm

Loch Arkaig brings back great memories.

Great report.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby ChrisW » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:28 am

Great stuff Steve, looks a bit better than day one. You certainly got some cracking photos one these, really stunning shots that capture the scottish hills perfectly :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Steve B » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:39 am

Thanks for all the comments. It was a good couple of days and one of the many reasons I moved to Scotland.
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland