Protected by a moat, battlemented curtain wall and twin towered gatehouse, Caerlaverock Castle must rank amongst the most impressive ruined castles in Scotland. The property is managed by Historic Scotland and includes an exhibition on seige warfare. The close proximity to England ensured the castle had a turbulent history.
Clience Studio opened as a gallery in Kirkcudbright in May 2005, moving to the bustling market town of Castle Douglas in 2007. The gallery at 212 King Street Castle Douglas, under the town clock, and is very welcoming and unusual in atmosphere, often with the artist Angela Lawrence busy at the easel. It displays original paintings in oil and watercolour as well as a wide selection of prints.
Painting © Angela Lawrence
Come and meet the brewer, learn the secrets of preparing traditionally crafted ales, and see for yourself the care and skill that goes into making a fine hand brewed Scottish pint using 100% natural ingredients.
At Sulwath Brewers, we give you the chance to see, and to taste, the craft of brewing in action, at our visitor area.
At the south-western tip of Scotland lies Logan, the country's most exotic garden. Warmed by the Gulf Stream, southern hemisphere plants flourish in this plantsman's paradise near Port Logan in Dumfries & Galloway.
Open daily Mar to Oct (Sundays only in Feb). Potting Shed Bistro and Botanics shop.
Threave Castle, which is managed by Historic Scotland, is set on its own island in the River Dee. Built by the Third Earl of Douglas (who also went by the jolly nickname Archibald the Grim) in about 1369, it remains a substantial tower, sited in a strategic and easily defended position.
The castle can be visited by a short boat trip from April to the end of October.
The great ruined Abbey dates back to 1273 and was built in memory of John Balliol by his wife - she also founded Balliol College at Oxford University. When she died she was buried in the Abbey, and had her husband's heart interred beside her, which is the source of the name. The abbey was inhabited by Cistercian monks until the Reformation; today the ruins are administered by Historic Scotland and there is an entrance charge. The car park also has public toilets, and a tearoom.