After passing it’s tenth birthday, the Walkhighlands community has now reached the milestone of 100,000 members. To celebrate the occasion we ran a competition on the forum for people to guess exactly when the 100,000th member would join. The closest guess – just – was Sunset tripper who wins a bottle of single malt whisky.
Founded in 2006, Walkhighlands is the busiest walking site in the UK and far and away the busiest outdoors website in Scotland. The site aims to encourage the enjoyment of walking through providing the best information source and social network for walkers in Scotland.
Registration on Walkhighlands is free, and registered users get the following benefits:
– Receive our regular email newsletter
– Can record the hills they have climbed on their own bagging maps
– Can view 1:25 000 Ordnance Survey mapping of our routes
– Keep their own complete walks blog on Walkhighlands to store and share all their walking experiences
– Can take part in our online forum
– Can give ratings to walks and hills, and mark your appreciation of walk reports you enjoy by Liking them which contributes to how prominently they feature on Walkhighlands.