Union Canal: Falkirk to Linlithgow
Click to Install our FREE APP
Download our route guides and use offline with free GPS mapping
Built between 1818 and 1822, the Union canal was designed by Hugh Baird and was originally used for transporting coal before competition from the railways caused it to close to commercial use in the 1930s. This sections gives a pleasant, level walk, the highlights being heading through a long tunnel and over a giant aqueduct.
Variable grade surfaced towpath
Rail stations at Falkirk High (for start) and Lithlithgow (end).
Falkirk High rail station.
Read about the experiences of our users on this route.
There are 4 reports from this walk - click to read them.